5 Tips for A Better Smile in 2020
At the close of the year, many people make resolutions often connected to better health. According to research conducted last January, 60% of people make New Year’s resolutions, but only about 8% of people actually achieve their goals. When you make a goal to improve your dental health, you are making a goal which can be kept by following these helpful tips from your friends at Providence Dental Spa:
- Brush. Rinse. Repeat—For a healthy smile, you need to brush at least twice a day. Each time you brush you need to brush with a pea-sized amount of a fluoride toothpaste for 2-3 minutes. Brushing your teeth as recommended will not only keep your mouth feeling fresh, but also prevent plaque from building up on your teeth. Your brushing regimen is the best prevention for gum disease and tooth decay. Make sure to replace your toothbrush every 2–3 months.
- Floss Every Day—There are many small places which can be overlooked while you are brushing your teeth. Floss can reach hard to reach spots and prevent plaque buildup between your teeth. If you just start a flossing regimen, you may have some bleeding initially. If the bleeding is excessive, give us a call. You may need to have your gums examined.
- Rinse with Mouthwash—There are two varieties of mouthwash: cosmetic and therapeutic. Therapeutic kinds can be helpful for preventing tooth decay, plaque, gingivitis, and bad breath. The cosmetic varieties may be used for teeth whitening. Whatever mouthwash you choose, always make sure it is approved by the ADA. For best results, wait 30 minutes before eating after using mouthwash.
- Think About Your Food Choices—At the best time of the year for cookies, bringing up sugar intake may be unpopular. Avoid starchy and sugary foods as well as dried fruits for ideal tooth health. Sugary sticky foods are difficult to remove from your teeth. Having a balanced and healthy diet is good for your teeth and the rest of your body.
- Come See Us Regularly—Ideally, having a professional cleaning every six months is beneficial for your dental health. When you come in for your cleaning, we can also let you know about any exciting new products available to add to your home regimen. We can help you keep your teeth on track year-round.
As 2019 wraps up, consider how your smile could be improved by making your at-home dental regimen a priority. If you need to schedule a visit with us to start 2020 off strong, contact Providence Dental Spa right away. We hope 2020 brings so many reasons to smile!