5 Tips for Healthier Gums
A beautiful smile is not just about your teeth. Although many people try to brush and whiten their teeth to improve their smile, gum health is often overlooked. Gum health is a crucial component to having a great smile and a healthy mouth overall. When you allow buildup at your gums, you are welcoming plaque and tartar which leads to serious medical issues, such as gingivitis and periodontitis. Not only will your gums be impacted by these gum diseases, but your bones and teeth will be compromised too. The good news is that gum disease is very preventable through proper oral hygiene. Follow these tips below from the Providence Dental Spa team to preserve the health of your gums:
- Brush Your Teeth At Least Twice Daily—The American Dental Association recommends the following guidelines: brush twice a day with a soft-bristled toothbrush and an ADA approved fluoride toothpaste and replace your toothbrush every 3-4 months. Your brush strokes should be short and at approximately a 45-degree angle to your gums. Do not forget to brush the front and the back of your teeth. Optimally, brushing your teeth after each meal would be wise.
- Floss Consistently—Although some people overlook this dental habit, flossing is incredibly important for your gum health. There are simply some spots which cannot be reached with your toothbrush. As an alternative to traditional flossing, you can utilize a Waterpik for cleaning between your teeth. Flossing is crucial for removing tartar which could build up and cause gum disease. When your gums are healthy, they should not bleed, swell, or cause pain.
- Finish with Mouthwash—After brushing and flossing, complete your dental regimen with mouthwash. Not only does mouthwash freshen your breath, it can also help with preventing gum disease and removing missed food. Mouthwash is never an alternative to brushing and flossing. Also, make sure your mouthwash is approved by the ADA. Children under 6 are not recommended to use mouthwash.
- Schedule your Checkup—Even the best at-home regimen needs the support of professionals. Schedule a visit with us every six months for a cleaning and checkup. We have the equipment and expertise to help fill in the gaps of your home routine as well as scan for evidence of gum diseases.
- Kick your Smoking Habit—If you are currently smoking or utilizing tobacco, your oral health will be significantly impacted. Smoking can be directly connected to gum diseases. Additionally, the CDC has noted that smoking weakens your immune system and limits your body’s ability to fight infections and gum diseases effectively. Your overall health will be improved through quitting.
Healthy gums help support a beautiful and healthy smile. Establish a healthy regimen according to these tips and call Providence Dental Spa to schedule your checkup!